Monday, April 8, 2013

I Shouldn't Be So Quick To Judge

I was going to write a post about how I've been trying to find a new blog reader ever since Google announced the retirement of Google Reader, and that the one I ended up trying out kinda sucked.  But then I realized that most of my complaints seem to be "It's slightly different from the real Google Reader!" and "It doesn't show blog updates as quickly!"  The last one might be legitimate, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they're working on that.  And for the first one, well, it was a dumb way to react to a new site.  Of course some things are going to be slightly different, but that doesn't mean those different things are flaws.  They're just...different.  I need to stop seeing every slight change as the end of the world.  You'd think we'd all have learned that from Facebook by now -- they change their site constantly, but everybody manages to get used to it enough that when they change it again they start demanding that Facebook revert to the old new version.

I was going to find a picture mocking new-new facebook, but it's three-thirty in the morning and I can't be bothered.  Have a tiny speckled lizard on a tiny golden tricycle instead.  It's adorable.

At least one of the things I was going to complain about wasn't even the site's fault, it was me not noticing that I could change that setting.  So not only is it dumb to complain just because something is new and different, if you start complaining before you give yourself a chance to get used to the new thing, you might just end up looking like a complete moron.

Basically, I need to work harder on not deciding that things are The Most Awful as soon as I start using them.  I gotta learn to give stuff a chance before I turn into a judgy jerkface about it just because it's not exactly the same as the other thing.  Again, you'd think I'd have learned this by now with Facebook.  I guess I'm just really slow at personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment